This website earns income from affiliate links, ads, and sponsored content.
Broccoli BurgerFit Burger
Nura Kruciak and Alane BoydJump to Recipe
Alane traveled to visit her friend, Nura Kruciak, in Nashville, TN, for the second episode of Cooking with My Friends. Together, they cook a Cuban-inspired meal including the Broccoli BurgerFit Burger.
Nura is an amazing cook and I love the Cuban flare she puts in her dishes! I had to learn from her!
Why eat the Broccoli BurgerFit Burger?
Don’t toss that broccoli stalk! Both the florets and the stalks of broccoli contain vitamins B and C, and potassium. The florets contain higher amounts of protective phytochemicals such as beta carotene, and the stalks contain more fiber.
Get the Recipes
These recipes are super easy to prepare and you’re going to have a blast making them!
Broccoli BurgerFit Burger
- Cut stalk from head of broccoli. Rough chop the head, including any greens. To cut the stalk, cut the bottom off so that it can stand flat. Stand the stem up and cut off the tough outside, following the shape of the stem. Once all of the exterior is removed, roughly chop the remaining stalk. Add the broccoli, greens, stalk, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ cup of water to a saucepan. Put heat on medium and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat if water is evaporating. Cook time is about 10 minutes. You want the broccoli soft but not mushy.
- Once the broccoli is cooked, put the broccoli, oregano, cumin, and garlic in the food processor (or finely chop). Taste vegetable mixture and add more salt if desired. Let the mixture cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground meat and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Gradually incorporate the vegetable mixture into the ground meat. Add as much as you can while still being able to form your burgers as normal.*If you end up adding too much vegetable mixture, don’t worry! Just form your burgers and cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cook burgers on medium heat on the stove for 3-5 minutes on each side or to your preference. Cooking times vary depending on what type of meat you're using.
- Optional: Serve with sharp cheddar cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash the rice really, really well and eliminate excess water.
- Heat the oil olive in a large aluminum pan and once hot, cook the onions. Fry them until they are golden brown - you want them very cooked.
- Add the bacon to the onions.
- When the bacon has cooked, release all the fat (don't let it get crispy), and add the rice. Stir fry it with the onions and bacon, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the 2 cans of beans (with the liquid) in the pan, add the water, and stir. Once it starts to boil, put the lid on the pan, and put it in the oven for 18 minutes.
- After 18 minutes, open the oven, pull the tray out, and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Put the lid back on and cook the rice for another 18 minutes.
- When done, glaze it with a small amount of olive oil, and fluff the rice again.
Meet the Hosts
Alane has kept her 40 lb weight loss off since 2013, and created BurgerFit and Cooking with My Friends as a way to get her family eating better. Her health journey started in 2012 after being diagnosed with high blood pressure and obesity. Frustrated and determined, Alane decided to make small, sustainable changes in her diet so that it would be maintainable for a lifetime. Now Alane maintains a healthy weight range and has incorporated quick and easy recipes that keep her picky family members eating better!
Nura Kruciak is a fellow healthy eater with a Cuban twist!
How We Met
If Nura and I had met when we were younger, we probably would have already taken over the world by now. Well, maybe not that drastic but together, we are forces of nature! I met Nura through her husband, Rusty, who was instrumental in helping our software company be acquired. After Rusty and I had several business interactions, he went home to Nura and told her, “I met your blonde twin. The two of you need to meet!” I finally got to meet her and loved her instantly! Her energy is contagious and she is an amazing cook so I had to have her on the show! Luckily she said yes ????