Best Gourmet Burger Recipe
What makes this BurgerFit burger special?
This gourmet burger beat out previous burger champions at the World Food Championships! Team BurgerFit, led by our Founder, Alane Boyd, turned our Beet BurgerFit burger that is a BFF (BurgerFit Favorite) into our Signature Competition Dish at the World Food Championships. It has all of our favorites with this burger: bacon, goat cheese, honey mustard, and red wine caramelized onions.
Why the Beet BurgerFit burger?
Beets add a sweetness to the ground beef that makes it irresistible. When paired with the creamy, tangy goat cheese mixed with chopped bacon, a honey mustard over red wine caramelized onions, your friends will be asking where you got this gourmet burger recipe!
Looking for more gourmet burger recipes? Check out our top 20 BurgerFit burger recipes!
Get the Recipe
This recipe is super easy to prepare and you’re going to have a blast making them!
Beet BurgerFit Burger
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Baking tray
- Food processor
- Large bowl
- 2 beets cubed
- Beet greens or swiss chard if your beets don't have their greens
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- cooking fat
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 garlic clove or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb ground meat
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Remove the greens and stems from the beets.
- Cut the beets into cubes and coat with 1 tablespoon cooking fat and 1 teaspoon salt (no need to peel the beets unless you prefer to). Roast them in the oven for 15 minutes. They are done when you can easily put a fork through them. When you remove the beets from the oven, add the greens. The heat from the beets will cook the greens and save you from having to cook them separately!
- Once the beets and greens are cooked, put the beets, beet greens, horseradish, and garlic in the food processor (or finely chop). Taste vegetable mixture and add more salt if desired. Let the mixture cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground meat and remaining teaspoon of salt. Gradually incorporate vegetable mixture into the ground meat. Add as much as you can while still being able to form your burgers as normal.*If you end up adding too much vegetable mixture, don’t worry! Just form your burgers and cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cook burgers on medium heat on the stove for 5 minutes each side or to your preference. Cooking times can vary.
- Optional: top burgers with goat cheese and Koops' Honey Dijon Mustard and serve over a bed of salad greens.
Signature BurgerFit Burger
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- 8 ounces Goat Cheese
- 4 pieces Chopped Bacon
- 1/2 cup Honey Mustard
- 1 Sliced Onion
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Great way to use leftover wine!
- 1 tbsp Cooking Fat
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 6 Burger buns
- 6 Beet BurgerFit burgers
- Cook bacon to desired crispiness.
- While bacon is cooking, slice onions and sautee on medium-high heat with 1 tbsp cooking fat.
- Once onions begin to caramelize, add 1 tbsp red wine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then turn down the heat to medium. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook onions for another 1-2 minutes from remove from heat.
- Chop bacon and mix with goat cheese.
- Spread a little honey mustard to bottom burger bun. Place beet burger on bun. Add goat mixture to burger, then caramelized onions. Drizzle the remaining honey mustard. Add top bun.
Meet Team BurgerFit
Alane has kept her 40 lb weight loss off since 2013, and created BurgerFit and Cooking with My Friends as a way to get her family eating better. Her health journey started in 2012 after being diagnosed with high blood pressure and obesity. Frustrated and determined, Alane decided to make small, sustainable changes in her diet so that it would be maintainable for a lifetime. Now Alane maintains a healthy weight range and has incorporated quick and easy recipes that keep her picky family members eating better!
Stephanie and Christine Zarling joined Alane Boyd in the competition! The three of them executed beautifully the entire time, getting dishes turned in on time, and laughing throughout.