Indian BurgerFit Burger
Chef Doug Rouen and Alane Boyd
Alane traveled to Young Harris, GA, for the first episode of Cooking with My Friends. There, she visited Chef Doug Rouen and Corey Benoit, owner of Restaurant Lorene. Together, they cook an Indian-inspired meal including the Indian BurgerFit Burger.
We absolutely love the food at Restaurant Lorene and were thrilled to be cooking with Chef Doug!
Why eat the Indian BurgerFit Burger?
Sulforaphanes are found in cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower. These sulfur-containing compounds give cauliflower its slightly bitter bite but have also been studied for their antioxidant properties. Peas and cauliflower both add beneficial fiber to this burger. Dietary fiber is important for keeping the body regular, and has the potential to lower the risk of developing certain diseases such as hypertension.
Get the Recipes
These recipes are super easy to prepare and you’re going to have a blast making them!
Indian BurgerFit Burger
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 cup cooked cauliflower You want the cauliflower to be a little soft. I go ahead and cook the entire head of cauliflower so I have some for a side dish.
- 3/4 cup chopped peas The peas can be fresh, frozen, or canned. I go ahead and cook all the peas so I have some for a side dish.
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic
- Rough chop the whole head of cauliflower, removing the leaves and stem. Add the cauliflower, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ cup of water to a saucepan. Put heat on medium and bring to a simmer to cook the cauliflower, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat if water is evaporating. You want the cauliflower soft but not mushy.
- Once cauliflower is cooked, drain the water and put the cauliflower, peas, paprika, curry powder, and garlic in the food processor (or finely chop). Taste vegetable mixture and add more salt if desired. Let the mixture cool completely.
- In a large bowl, add the ground meat and remaining teaspoon of salt. Gradually incorporate vegetable mixture into the ground meat. Add as much as you can while still being able to form your burgers as normal *If you end up adding too much vegetable mixture, don’t worry! Just form your burgers and cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cook burgers on medium heat on the stove for 5 minutes each side or to your preference. Cooking times can vary.
- Optional: Eat the rest of the cauliflower and peas as a side dish.
Meet the Hosts
Alane has kept her 40 lb weight loss off since 2013, and created BurgerFit and Cooking with My Friends as a way to get her family eating better. Her health journey started in 2012 after being diagnosed with high blood pressure and obesity. Frustrated and determined, Alane decided to make small, sustainable changes in her diet so that it would be maintainable for a lifetime. Now Alane maintains a healthy weight range and has incorporated quick and easy recipes that keep her picky family members eating better!
Chef Doug Rouen
Chef Doug Rouen is a Chef at Restaurant Lorene, an amazing restaurant in Young Harris, Georgia.
How We Met
You never know unless you ask. It was Christmas Eve at 3:30pm and I was thinking about our trip down to Hiawassee, GA. We had made plans for a team and customer appreciation trip to spend a few days relaxing together. We made reservations at my husband and I’s favorite restaurant there, Restaurant Lorene. A few months prior, we took our 2 year old son there for dinner. We had an amazing time and our son loved being there so much that by the end of the night, he shut down the restaurant by break dancing for everyone in the bar area. It’s one of my favorite memories! When thinking about where I wanted to shoot my first episode for Cooking with My Friends, Restaurant Lorene instantly came to mind. I thought it would be a long shot but I went for it anyway. The owner, Corey Benoit wrote back in minutes saying they were all in! After getting in the kitchen together, Chef Doug and I found out we were both from Louisiana! No wonder we hit it off so well. I loved being able to record our first episode with Chef Doug and Corey Benoit were a freaking blast!!