Episode 11 - Broccoli Sprout Burger and Mediterranean Inspired Salad Dish
Chef Ayessa Holbrook and Alane Boyd
The only thing better than burgers? Burgers that taste great and help you eat your veggies more easily! In this episode of Cooking with My Friends, BurgerFit CEO Alane teaches a virtual cooking show from the kitchen of IWC with Ayessa from SunGarden Sprouts. Together they share how you can make a delicious and healthy meal for your family with BurgerFit burgers and fresh sprouts! If you have picky eaters in your family or simply want to eat healthier, this Broccoli Sprout Burger and Mediterranean Inspired Salad Dish episode is for you!
Now you have a super healthy, nutrient-rich dinner, lunch… or even breakfast!
In this episode you will learn:
- How to make an easy, nutrient-dense burger that even your pickiest of eaters will love
- How to make a homemade salad dressing using pantry staples that you probably already have on hand at home
- How to make a simple, veggie-packed salad using fresh sprouts and feta cheese
- About the different sprouts that SunGarden has to offer
- About BurgerFit and how you can get your family and picky eaters eating healthier without the dinnertime battle.
BurgerFit burgers are meat and veggie burgers that help you and your family eat healthier whether they know it or not! Alane shows how you can create a healthy burger for your family using our BurgerFit sprout powders, which means no prepping vegetables ahead of time. Simply put a few teaspoons of your desired sprout powder in with your burger meat and you instantly have a nutrient-dense and healthy, yet delicious meal for your picky eaters. We love adding a tablespoon or two of Koops’ mustard for extra flavor
Ayessa from SunGarden shares how to make a veggie-packed salad with fresh sprouts instead of greens and topped with a homemade salad dressing made with Koops’ mustard. Topped with feta cheese, this salad makes for the perfect side dish for the Sprout BurgerFit burgers.
Why eat the Broccoli Sprout BurgerFit Burger?
Not only is this Broccoli Sprout BurgerFit burger recipe gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, paleo, keto, and Whole30, but you’re also consuming tons of vitamins and minerals and that can improve your health in many ways!
Here are some of the nutrients you’re getting when you consume sprouts:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
Get the recipes and discount codes for BurgerFit, Koops' Mustard, and SunGarden Sprouts!
Get the Recipes
The Broccoli Sprout Burger and Mediterranean Inspired Salad Dish are super easy to prepare and you’re going to have a blast making them!
Broccoli Sprout Burger
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together until combined. Don’t over mix or the ground meat can become tough.
- Form mixture into 4 equal burger patties and place burger patties on hot skillet.
- Cook burgers on medium heat on the stove for 3-5 minutes on each side or to your preference. Cooking times can vary.
Mediterranean Inspired Sprout Salad
- In a large bowl, combine the prepared salad ingredients including the feta. Gently mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk all the salad dressing ingredients together until combined.
- Add all or some of the dressing to the salad, depending on preference, and mix until the salad is well coated.
- Serve immediately or chill for 30-60 minutes for flavors to combine and top with more feta.
Meet the Hosts
Alane has kept her 40 lb weight loss off since 2013, and created BurgerFit and Cooking with My Friends as a way to get her family eating better. Her health journey started in 2012 after being diagnosed with high blood pressure and obesity. Frustrated and determined, Alane decided to make small, sustainable changes in her diet so that it would be maintainable for a lifetime. Now Alane maintains a healthy weight range and has incorporated quick and easy recipes that keep her picky family members eating better!
Chef Ayessa Holbrook
Ayessa spent her childhood in The Philippines and was surrounded by aromatic foods daily. The culinary culture had inspired her to explore the world of cooking. She moved to the US when she was 10. Shocked at the norms of today’s eating habits, she decided that helping others become less fearful about the word “health” was her calling. Now, Ayessa spends most of her time teaching others about the benefits of using fresh fruit and vegetables into creating healthy, yet delicious meals. Alongside that, she also creates her own recipes that include hiding vegetables in her breads, pastries, and pasta.
How We Met
Alane and Ayessa met while planning the virtual cooking class with SunGarden. Ayessa is an amazing healthy cook and she shares the same love of sneaking veggies into everyday foods that Alane does. One of her favorites is veggies in brownies, which we love! Ayessa is a nutrition expert and we love hearing the scientific side she shares about the foods we eat.