This website earns income from affiliate links, ads, and sponsored content.
Dairy-Free Mac & No Cheese
My boys, like most, love mac and cheese, but it is something we only make on special occasions as a treat. When my garden started growing more butternut squashes than I knew what to do with, I wanted to get creative on using them in recipes. This dairy-free Mac & No Cheese recipe is a perfect dairy-free, gluten-free alternative to mac and cheese! I love the allusion it gives of the real-thing (mac and cheese). The yellow coloring of the butternut squash makes it look like cheddar cheese! I have made this with all different types of gluten-free noodles and have never been disappointed.
I usually use coconut milk or nut pods creamer for the milk – both dairy-free and both delicious in this recipe! However, you can use any milk you prefer. If you don’t have milk, butter, coconut oil, or olive oil could also replace it. I use an emulsifier to blend the butternut squash, milk, garlic, and salt and pepper together so it is fully blended and smooth.
I like using “cooking fat” in my recipes because, in most dishes, it can be any that you prefer cooking with, such as olive oil, coconut oil, butter, rendered lard, tallow, etc. I do love using olive oil in this recipe for step 5. I think it adds an amazing flavor to the mac & no cheese recipe.
This is a dish I can feel good about making after a long day of working and needing to put dinner together quickly. It is also even better the next day for lunches after the flavors have been together overnight.
This is a mac & cheese recipe that I can feel good about feeding to my family! -Alane
Get the Recipe
Mac & No Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut butternut squash length-wise and scoop out seeds. Lightly coat with 1 tbsp cooking fat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes until you can easily stick a fork through it. It does not need to be overcooked. It will cook a little more in the next step.
- While the butternut squash cooks, prepare the noodles according to the package instructions.
- Add the garlic and milk to a medium saucepan. Scoop out cooked butternut squash from skin once it is cooked and cool enough to touch and add it to the saucepan.
- Using an immersion blender (or a high-speed blender if you don't have one), blend together the garlic, milk, remaining cooking fat (olive oil tastes best), butternut squash, salt, and pepper until completely smooth.
- Simmer the butternut squash sauce on medium-low for 5 minutes or until thick.
- Add noodles to the sauce and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle with green onions if desired.
- If your family isn't dairy-free or you aren't ready to give it up, add in shredded cheese after the sauce is done simmering in step 5. You can also use regular milk instead of a milk alternative.
- Add cooked broccoli or zucchini for an extra veggie infusion!
- Use sour cream or greek yogurt in place of the milk for tangy version!
- Feeling fancy? Top with fresh sage and freshly grated parmesan cheese. A perfect combo for the holidays!
Get the Products Featured in this Episode of "What's In Our Pantry?"
Meet Our Host
Alane has kept her 40 lb weight loss off since 2013, and created BurgerFit and Cooking with My Friends as a way to get her family eating better. Her health journey started in 2012 after being diagnosed with high blood pressure and obesity. Frustrated and determined, Alane decided to make small, sustainable changes in her diet so that it would be maintainable for a lifetime. Now Alane maintains a healthy weight range and has incorporated quick and easy recipes that keep her picky family members eating better!
Say Hi, and get more FREE recipes!
BurgerFit helps make eating veggies fun and delicious for your pickiest of eaters! Our new take on an old classic combines veggies into delicious meat burgers, transforming them into healthy meals that everyone from 2 to 82 years old can enjoy. Each recipe has been tested with kids of all ages, both young and the grown ones. You’ll have them eating beets (and loving it) before they know it!
About Cooking with My Friends
Cooking with My Friends is a video series in which host, Alane Boyd, cooks healthy meals to help people get more comfortable in the kitchen. She sometimes travels to cook with chefs and home cooks around the world!