This website earns income from affiliate links, ads, and sponsored content.
Gluten-Free Acorn Squash Mashed "Potatoes" BurgerFit Friday
It’s BurgerFit Friday sponsored by Koops’ Mustard! On Friday’s, BurgerFit CEO Alane Boyd gets creative with BurgerFit burgers and Koops’ Mustard! Alane uses ingredients from her home to create this delicious Gluten-Free Acorn Squash Mashed “Potatoes” recipe with Stone Ground Koops’ mustard!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel to see more BurgerFit Friday episodes.
Fool anyone with these healthy mashed "potatoes"
This easy, gluten-free, healthy Acorn Squash Mashed “Potatoes” recipe can fool almost anyone! It is so easy to make and the best, low-glycemic substitute for the beloved traditional, mashed potatoes.
My sister-in-law, mom, and I are constantly laughing behinds the scenes when we serve this dish to our kids and my dad! If my dad knew he was eating acorn squash, he would say he didn’t like it. But because he thinks he is eating mashed potatoes, he loves it and always goes back for seconds! The kids love it too! When I was filming this BurgerFit Friday recipe, my son, Fletcher, heard me say, “Fletcher won’t even realize he is eating acorn squash!”. He told me after I was filming that he wouldn’t try it because he knew my secret. I waited a day and gave him the leftovers without telling him what it was. He loved it! So many of us make preconceived ideas of what food will taste like before we even try it. That is what I love about making new foods look like the foods we already know. It helps introduce a new food in a non-intimidating way and can get someone’s palate used to a new flavor.
Even though I used the Stone Ground Koops’ Mustard in this recipe, you can experiment with any of the Koops’ Mustards! Some other ones that I think would be great in this recipe are:
If you love mashed potatoes, you will know that this pairs perfectly with any of our BurgerFit burger recipes. The mashed acorn squash is such a simple side dish that it can go with anything. A few of my favorite BurgerFit recipes to eat with this recipe are:
Even if you don’t think you like acorn squash, you need to try this recipe! We have fooled many family members into eating this that thought they were just eating mashed potatoes. You really can’t tell the difference! Oven roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the acorn squash and it tastes similar to sweet potatoes.
If you are looking for healthy Thanksgiving side dishes, this is a great option! It is easy to make and acorn squash can easily be found at your local farmers market or grocery store during the winter season. It gives you something unique to make that changes up what you might traditionally see at the Thanksgiving table.
This acorn squash recipe can fool almost anything into thinking it’s mashed potatoes! -Alane
Watch the BurgerFit Friday Video
Get the recipe
Acorn Squash Mashed "Potatoes"
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Slice squash in half and scoop out seeds and discard (or roast for a tasty snack!).
- Place the squash on a baking pan and bake for 30-45 minutes (depending on the size of the squash) until the skin is easy to pierce with a fork and the flesh is soft.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for several minutes. Scoop out the flesh of the squash, being careful not to burn your hands.
- Place the cooked squash in pot over medium-low heat and add butter and yogurt. Stir to combine. Let cook for 3-5 minutes to allow some of the moisture to evaporate.
- While the squash is cooking, heat a BurgerFit burger.
- Add the garlic clove to the acorn squash mixture and use an immersion blender to blend and whip the acorn squash into a mashed potato consistency.
- Stir the Stone Ground Koops' Mustard into the mashed acorn squash and add the BurgerFit Smoked Salt & Pepper blend to taste.
- Serve as you would mashed potatoes with a BurgerFit burger on the side!
- If you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a blender, food processor, or even a mixer. If using a mixer, finely chop garlic before adding.
- Plain yogurt can be replaced with sour cream.
- Add herbs like thyme, oregano, rosemary, and parsley for additional flavor.
- Add chopped walnuts or pecans over the top for an added crunch!
- Make it dairy-free, paleo, and Whole30 by replacing the butter and yogurt with a compliant cooking fat such as coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, and replacing the yogurt for a dairy-free version.
Pairs Nicely With
Chopped walnuts or pecans over the top make for a delicious added crunch!
Say Hi, and get more FREE recipes!
Meet our Founder & Koops'
Alane has kept her 40 lb weight loss off since 2013, and created BurgerFit and Cooking with My Friends as a way to get her family eating better. Her health journey started in 2012 after being diagnosed with high blood pressure and obesity. Frustrated and determined, Alane decided to make small, sustainable changes in her diet so that it would be maintainable for a lifetime. Now Alane maintains a healthy weight range and has incorporated quick and easy recipes that keep her picky family members eating better!
Koops’ isn’t your ordinary mustard. It’s extraordinary mustard. With 14 bold flavors that can satisfy any appetite, it makes good food great and great food amazing. We like to think our mustards make everything you spread them on a little better. Well, now your favorite mustard makes the planet a little better too. Sustainably farmed, these organic varieties have all the flavor and texture of the mustard you love.
BurgerFit helps make eating veggies fun and delicious for your pickiest of eaters! Our new take on an old classic combines veggies into delicious meat burgers, transforming them into healthy meals that everyone from 2 to 82 years old can enjoy. Each recipe has been tested with kids of all ages, both young and the grown ones. You’ll have them eating beets (and loving it) before they know it!