This website earns income from affiliate links, ads, and sponsored content.
Gluten-Free Braised Collard Greens
It’s BurgerFit Friday sponsored by Koops’ Mustard! On Friday’s, BurgerFit CEO Alane Boyd gets creative with BurgerFit burgers and Koops’ Mustard! Alane uses ingredients from her home to create this delicious Gluten-Free Braised Collard Greens recipe with Dijon Koops’ mustard!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel to see more BurgerFit Friday episodes.
The perfect, no-regrets side dish
This dairy-free, paleo, sugar-free, and gluten-free Braised Collard Greens is the perfect, no-regrets side dish to any meal!
I love thinking back on my first time I got collard greens – I honestly didn’t know any other way to cook them than with a ham hock in a pot on the stove! I had to Google other ways to cook them and that’s when I found a blog that showed me how to cut them and saute them in a skillet. I laugh at myself now because they really are just a type of green that can easily be cooked in almost any way that you can think of! These braised collard greens are one of my favorite ways to eat them. It is so easy to make and really delicious! I love the dash of curry powder spice in this recipe but if you aren’t a fan of that flavor or simply don’t have any, this recipe will still taste fantastic without it! If you do use curry powder, my recommendation is to always add a little bit and add more to taste. Every curry powder brand is so different that there really is a flavor difference between them and your meal can easily and quickly become overpowered!
Collard greens are packed with nutrients and vitamins and they are a great fall season crop. If you are wanting to make this recipe at a different time of the year, the collard greens can be swapped out for other hardy greens or for a combination of greens such as swiss chard, kale, and spinach.
In the recipe, I used olive oil but you could use any cooking fat that you prefer to cook with: coconut oil, avocado oil, rendered lard, tallow, etc. You could even cook a little bacon first and use the grease from it to cook the collard greens in! Yum!
Even though I used the Koops’ Organic Dijon Mustard in this recipe, you can experiment with any of the Koops’ Mustards! Some other ones that I think would be great in this recipe are:
- Spicy Brown Koops’ Mustard
- Arizona Heat Koops’ Mustard
- Stone Ground Koops’ Mustard
- Honey Dijon Koops’ Mustard
My favorite protein to eat with these Braised Collard Greens is a BurgerFit burger, of course! Add this with a side of my Acorn Squash Mashed Potatoes and I am in heaven! A few of my favorite BurgerFit recipes to eat with this are:
This can be a great Thanksgiving or holiday side dish, a time when the “vegetable” dishes are usually loaded with cream, cheese, and sugar. This can be your no-regrets Thanksgiving dish that you’ll want to pile on your plate and then just get a little bit of the other delicious sides.
“This is a great side dish to make for the upcoming holidays that isn’t loaded with cheese, cream, or sugar!” -Alane
Watch the BurgerFit Friday Video
Get the recipe
Braised Collard Greens
- Heat a skillet on medium and add the olive oil.
- Add the onions and cook until fragrant and caramelized.
- While the onions are cooking, chop up the collard greens.
- Add the collard greens to the onions and cook until the greens start to wilt.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, curry powder, Organic Koops' Mustard, and honey and stir until thoroughly combined. Add in the water 1 tbsp at a time if it starts to stick to the pan.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low and continue cooking.
- Sprinkle in a pinch of the BurgerFit Smoked Salt.
- Move the collard greens to one side of the pan and add your BurgerFit burgers to cook.
- Replace collard greens with other hardy greens or a combination of greens such as swiss chard, kale, and spinach.
- Olive oil with any cooking fat that you prefer to cook with: coconut oil, avocado oil, rendered lard, tallow, etc. You could even cook a little bacon first and use the grease from it to cook the collard greens in! Yum!
- Cook up some bacon with it for added deliciousness
Cook up some bacon with it for added deliciousness!
Say Hi, and get more FREE recipes!
Meet our Founder & Koops'
Alane has kept her 40 lb weight loss off since 2013, and created BurgerFit and Cooking with My Friends as a way to get her family eating better. Her health journey started in 2012 after being diagnosed with high blood pressure and obesity. Frustrated and determined, Alane decided to make small, sustainable changes in her diet so that it would be maintainable for a lifetime. Now Alane maintains a healthy weight range and has incorporated quick and easy recipes that keep her picky family members eating better!
Koops’ isn’t your ordinary mustard. It’s extraordinary mustard. With 14 bold flavors that can satisfy any appetite, it makes good food great and great food amazing. We like to think our mustards make everything you spread them on a little better. Well, now your favorite mustard makes the planet a little better too. Sustainably farmed, these organic varieties have all the flavor and texture of the mustard you love.
BurgerFit helps make eating veggies fun and delicious for your pickiest of eaters! Our new take on an old classic combines veggies into delicious meat burgers, transforming them into healthy meals that everyone from 2 to 82 years old can enjoy. Each recipe has been tested with kids of all ages, both young and the grown ones. You’ll have them eating beets (and loving it) before they know it!