This website earns income from affiliate links, ads, and sponsored content. This recipe is sponsored by Koops’ Mustard.
Ground Chicken & Sweet Potato Breakfast Sausage
On Friday’s, BurgerFit CEO Alane Boyd gets creative with BurgerFit burgers and Koops’ Mustard! Alane uses ingredients from her home to create this delicious Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo ground chicken & sweet potato breakfast sausage recipe with Koops’ Spicy Brown Mustard!
This recipe is sponsored by Koops’ Mustard. You can order Koops’ Mustard at koopsmustard.com or on Amazon.
Your new favorite breakfast sausage
Breakfast is super easy with these gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo, ground chicken & sweet potato breakfast sausage patties!
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it can also feel like the most difficult to make happen! Between getting kids up and ready for school, preparing lunches, and getting homework together, breakfast needs to be quick! Cue ground chicken & sweet potato breakfast patties! Make up a batch of these for the week ahead and just reheat each morning. Healthy and filling, these breakfast patties are great served with other breakfast foods, or by themselves with Koops’ Mustard and SunGarden sprouts! You’ll easily get some veggies into your kids’ diet with this breakfast recipe making it a great way to start your morning!
When cooking the mushrooms and spinach, I used coconut oil but you could use any cooking fat that you prefer to cook with: olive oil, avocado oil, lard, tallow, etc.
You can also experiment or substitute the mustard in this recipe. I used Koops’ Spicy Brown Mustard but any of these Koops’ Mustards would be great with this recipe!
- Original Yellow Koops’ Mustard
- Stone Ground Koops’ Mustard
- Honey Dijon Koops’ Mustard
- Jalapeno Koops’ Mustard
While these are great for breakfast (served with some eggs on the side!) they’d be delicious for lunch or dinner too. I love eating these patties over a bed of greens with sprouts and mustard on top. It is so delicious!! I usually don’t even use a salad dressing and use the mustard as if it were one. If I decide I want a little dressing, I’ll usually whip up one of my favorite ones. If you like these ground chicken & sweet potato patties, try out some of our other BurgerFit burger recipes – you can easily make any of these recipes using ground chicken, turkey, or pork!
A perfect healthy Sunday breakfast for your kids to eat! Any leftovers make for a quick breakfast throughout the week. -Alane
Get the recipe
Ground Chicken & Sweet Potato Breakfast Sausage
- 1 cup sweet potato (1 large or 2-3 small)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced or 1 1/2 tbs)
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp Koops' Honey Mustard or use your favorite!
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into medallions and roast in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooled, put them into a medium mixing bowl. Add the garlic, onion powder, rosemary, salt, pepper, Koops' Honey Mustard, and 1 egg.
- Mash the mixture with a wooden spoon or potato masher until it is combined and is fairly smooth.
- Add in the ground chicken and work the sweet potato into the chicken until combined. Let the mixture rest for 1-2 minutes.
- The mixture is resting, generously oil a skillet, and heat over medium heat.
- Roll a palm-sized ball of the chicken potato mixture and flatten, about 2 inches thick.
- Add 4-5 patties to your skillet (depending on the size of your skillet) and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until the middle is thoroughly cooked. Slice one in half to see if the middle is done and there's no pink in the center.
- Serve the patties with more Koops' Mustard and top it with BurgerFit's garlic smoked salts.
- Make the mixture/patties the night before use for a quick breakfast next morning.
- Switch out the ground chicken for ground turkey or ground beef.
- Dish out some Koop's Honey Mustard as a delicious dip!
Top your breakfast sausage with Koops’ Mustard!
Say Hi, and get more FREE recipes!
Looking for other healthy BurgerFit Recipes?
Check out our top dietary lifestyle blogs!
Get the mustard featured in this BurgerFit Friday
Meet our Founder and Koops'
Alane has kept her 40 lb weight loss off since 2013, and created BurgerFit and Cooking with My Friends as a way to get her family eating better. Her health journey started in 2012 after being diagnosed with high blood pressure and obesity. Frustrated and determined, Alane decided to make small, sustainable changes in her diet so that it would be maintainable for a lifetime. Now Alane maintains a healthy weight range and has incorporated quick and easy recipes that keep her picky family members eating better!
Koops’ isn’t your ordinary mustard. It’s extraordinary mustard. With 14 bold flavors that can satisfy any appetite, it makes good food great and great food amazing. We like to think our mustards make everything you spread them on a little better. Well, now your favorite mustard makes the planet a little better too. Sustainably farmed, these organic varieties have all the flavor and texture of the mustard you love.
How We Met
BurgerFit and Koops’ Mustard met before going to the World Food Championships. Since mustard pairs perfectly with burgers, BurgerFit offered samples of Koops’ Mustard in their Tasting Pavilion booth. From there, they continued their relationship by partnering for BurgerFit Friday.
BurgerFit helps make eating veggies fun and delicious for your pickiest of eaters! Our new take on an old classic combines veggies into delicious meat burgers, transforming them into healthy meals that everyone from 2 to 82 years old can enjoy. Each recipe has been tested with kids of all ages, both young and the grown ones. You’ll have them eating beets (and loving it) before they know it!
There’s not too many sweet potato recipes out there that I like but this one is definitely going to get bookmarked. The patties taste so much better than store-bought sausage patties. They are filling and satiating and they also make an excellent grab-and-go breakfast. They also have this extra sweet and rich flavor and I think the secrets are the sweet potatoes and the mustard!
Thanks for sharing, Hanna! We’re glad you liked the recipe.