This website earns income from affiliate links, ads, and sponsored content. This recipe is sponsored by Koops’ Mustard and SunGarden Sprouts.
Simple Homemade Vinaigrette
On Friday’s, BurgerFit CEO Alane Boyd gets creative with BurgerFit burgers, Koops’ Mustard, and SunGarden Sprouts! Alane uses ingredients from her home to create this delicious Simple Homemade Vinaigrette with Spicy Brown Koops’ Mustard and SunGarden Crispy Sprout mix!
Grilling season has started and it never tasted so good
This easy and simple Homemade Vinaigrette Salad Dressing Recipe paired with a blended ground beef, Carrot & Thyme BurgerFit burger with Koops’ Mustard and SunGarden sprouts on top is one of my favorite meals for the spring and summer!
With just a few basic ingredients in your kitchen, you can whip up a delicious salad dressing in minutes! You don’t have to make special trips to the grocery or steer away from making a healthy salad for lunch or dinner because you don’t have a dressing in your refrigerator. Your basic template:
- Vinegar (Red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, balsamic, fruit vinegar such as pear)
- Mustard (Dijon, honey, spicy, even plain yellow!)
- Olive oil (good olive oil is a staple in my kitchen and I use it almost exclusively for making dressings. I use coconut oil or avocado oil for cooking!)
- Salt (we love using our BurgerFit smoked salts or Himalayan sea salt)
- Honey or maple syrup (if needed!)
My favorite way to make any salad dressing is putting all of the ingredients into a mason jar with a lid and shake – I’m reducing the number of dirty dishes, any leftover dressing is already in its storage container, and it takes just a few seconds to shake it all together!
Trying to get kids to eat vegetables can be really difficult and that is why I love that this burger is blended with carrots. Kids (and picky adults) won’t even know they are eating vegetables and they will be loving it! Using sprouts can also be a win for getting a kid to eat vegetables. A sprout is a lot less intimidating to try than a whole vegetable. Sprouts are cute and fun and they make kids curious. Plus, sprouts have such a concentrated amount of nutrients that you don’t have to worry about your kids not getting their vitamins and minerals – a small portion of sprouts will have them covered!
I used coconut oil when cooking the carrots for the BurgerFit burger, but you could use any cooking fat that you prefer to cook with: olive oil, avocado oil, lard, tallow, etc. You can also use fresh thyme in place of dried thyme. If you do, triple the amount of thyme.
When making this simple homemade vinaigrette, you can really use any of your favorite Koops’ Mustards but since I love food with a kick, I used the Spicy Brown Koops’ Mustard. If you aren’t a spice fan, you can experiment with any of the Koops’ Mustards and SunGarden sprouts!
Some of the Koops’ Mustards that I think would be great in this recipe are:
- Original Yellow Koops’ Mustard
- Dijon Koops’ Mustard
- Stone Ground Koops’ Mustard
- Honey Dijon Koops’ Mustard
I used the Crispy Sprout Mix from SunGarden to add an additional crunch to my salad. Salad dressing with these sprouts is mouth-watering. If you want to try a different type of sprout with this recipe, some of the SunGarden sprouts that I think would be great on this burger are:
- Alfalfa SunGarden Sprouts
- Broccoli and Clover Blend SunGarden Sprouts
- Clover SunGarden Sprouts
- Mung Bean SunGarden Sprouts
I typically always eat my BurgerFit burgers over greens. I added my Beet Sauerkraut recipe, cilantro from my garden, avocado, sprinkled the Garlic Blend BurgerFit Smoked Salts, and some of the leftover carrots from making the BurgerFit burger! YUM! For picky eaters or those that can’t get away from their love for bread and traditional burgers like my boys (my husband and son), I usually serve their burger with a bun, pickles, and cheese – but always Koops’ Mustard on top! If you are wanting to get a little more creative with ways to serve your BurgerFit burgers, we have BurgerFit deconstructed recipes to help you out! Here are a few of my favorite BurgerFit deconstructed recipes:
I know I’m just a few minutes away from a healthy and delicious meal when I have ingredients for this Simple Homemade Vinaigrette recipe on hand. -Alane
Get the recipe
Simple Homemade Vinaigrette
- Add everything to a jar and shake until thoroughly combined.
- Make it Whole30 by omitting maple syrup or honey.
- Use our BurgerFit Smoked Salts for extra flavor!
Carrot & Thyme BurgerFit Burger
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the stems off the carrots, quarter them lengthwise, and then cut them crosswise (no need to peel the carrots, unless you prefer to). Mix with 1 tablespoon cooking fat and thyme, then roast on a baking tray for 20 minutes. While the carrots are roasting, heat a skillet on medium heat with 1 teaspoon cooking fat and sauté the kale until cooked down, about 10 minutes.
- Once the carrots and kale are cooked, put the carrots, kale, thyme, and ½ teaspoon salt in the food processor (or finely chop). Taste vegetable mixture and add more salt if desired. Let the mixture cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground meat and remaining teaspoon of salt. Gradually incorporate vegetable mixture into the ground meat. Add as much as you can while still being able to form your burgers as normal.*If you end up adding too much vegetable mixture, don’t worry! Just form your burgers and cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cook burgers on medium heat on the stove for 5 minutes each side or to your preference. Cooking times can vary.
- Optional: Serve on a green salad with the Simple Vinaigrette dressing and top with SunGarden Sprouts and Koops' Mustard!
Top burger with Koops’ Mustard and SunGarden sprouts!
Say Hi, and get more FREE recipes!
Meet our Founder, Koops', and SunGarden
Alane has kept her 40 lb weight loss off since 2013, and created BurgerFit and Cooking with My Friends as a way to get her family eating better. Her health journey started in 2012 after being diagnosed with high blood pressure and obesity. Frustrated and determined, Alane decided to make small, sustainable changes in her diet so that it would be maintainable for a lifetime. Now Alane maintains a healthy weight range and has incorporated quick and easy recipes that keep her picky family members eating better!
Koops’ isn’t your ordinary mustard. It’s extraordinary mustard. With 14 bold flavors that can satisfy any appetite, it makes good food great and great food amazing. We like to think our mustards make everything you spread them on a little better. Well, now your favorite mustard makes the planet a little better too. Sustainably farmed, these organic varieties have all the flavor and texture of the mustard you love.
SunGarden Natural Ingredients are sprouted seeds with intriguing nutritional benefits. There’s a period right after a seed has sprouted, but before it’s a plant, when the potential for nutrition, taste, and performance rises. With less bitterness and more nutrition, sprouted grains and seeds are popping up everywhere. We can sprout, dry, and mill to meet customer specifications. By choosing us you can be sure that all products have undergone rigorous quality and food safety processes to ensure our ingredients are among the safest in the industry.
How We Met
BurgerFit and Koops’ Mustard met before going to the World Food Championships. Since mustard pairs perfectly with burgers, BurgerFit offered samples of Koops’ Mustard in their Tasting Pavilion booth. From there, they continued their relationship by partnering for BurgerFit Friday.
BurgerFit and SunGarden met through mutual connections in the same town where BurgerFit is headquartered. Both companies immediately connected through helping people eating healthier. Sprouts are a perfect, simple addition to any mal and we love how well they go with BurgerFit.
BurgerFit helps make eating veggies fun and delicious for your pickiest of eaters! Our new take on an old classic combines veggies into delicious meat burgers, transforming them into healthy meals that everyone from 2 to 82 years old can enjoy. Each recipe has been tested with kids of all ages, both young and the grown ones. You’ll have them eating beets (and loving it) before they know it!